Hempseed hummus is a great snack food and is popular at parties, picnics and when relaxing with some munchies. This version is simple to make and tasty as well as very healthy- the hempseed provides essential fatty acids and protein, the chickpeas are high in fibre as well as iron and other essential minerals, and the tahini provides calcium.
Tools & ingredients
- A food processor
- 2-3 cups canned chickpeas, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup shelled hempseed
- 2-3 sprigs fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil or water
- Place all the ingredients except for the parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper into the food processor.
- Blend until smooth, slowly adding just enough olive oil or water to create a creamy texture. Olive oil will give a richer, heavier hummus with a more full-bodied flavor; water gives a lighter, low fat result.
- Add salt and pepper and blend again, continuing until the seasonings are to your taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the fresh parsley.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crudités, or crackers. Hempseed hummus is also delicious on toast!